A key tool in our cloud configuration management toolset, AWS CloudFormation is a powerful Infrastructure as Code tool that helps automate and manage all your AWS deployments painlessly. AWS CloudFormation provides a common language for you to model and provision all the infrastructure resources in your cloud environment. As a configuration orchestration tool, it allows you to codify your infrastructure to automate your deployments. Here are some CloudFormation‘s primary features:
- Templates: CloudFormation templates can be created with YAML in addition to JSON. Alternatively, you can use AWS CloudFormation Designer to visually create your templates and quickly see the interrelationship between a template’s resources.
- Dependency management: during the configuration process, AWS CloudFormation automatically manages dependencies between your resources. Therefore, you don’t have to specify the order in which resources are created, updated, or deleted. CloudFormation determines the correct sequence of actions to create your environment.
- Preview changes to your environment: if you’re not sure what changes might break the environment, AWS CloudFormation Change Sets allows you to preview how proposed changes to a stack might impact your running resources. AWS CloudFormation makes the changes to your stack only after you decide to execute the Change Set.
- Safety controls: even if you execute a change set which contains errors, CloudFormation has Rollback Triggers that allow you to monitor your update process and roll back your environment to a previous deployed state. You can use Rollback Triggers to specify the CloudWatch alarm that CloudFormation should monitor during the stack creation and update process. If any of the alarms are breached, CloudFormation rolls back the entire stack operation to a previous deployed state.
- Cross account & cross-region management: AWS StackSets enables you to create, update, or delete stacks across multiple accounts and regions with a single operation. Before StackSets existed, every infrastructure environment had to be deployed independently. AWS StackSets makes it easier to maintain consistency when you add new regions and accounts.
- Finally, AWS frequently releases additional useful functionality, so there are unlimited possibilities on what you can do with CloudFormation.
With our cloud configuration services, you will be able to reduce maintenance and improve security, consistency and developer self-service.
Model it all
Model your entire infrastructure and application resources with either a text file or programming languages. The AWS CloudFormation Registry and CLI make it easy to manage third party resources with CloudFormation. This provides a single source of truth for all your resources and helps you to standardise infrastructure components used across your organisation, enabling configuration compliance and faster troubleshooting.
Automate and deploy
AWS CloudFormation provisions your application resources in a safe, repeatable manner, allowing you to build and rebuild your infrastructure and applications, without having to perform manual actions or write custom scripts. CloudFormation takes care of determining the right operations to perform when managing your stack, orchestrating them in the most efficient way, and rolls back changes automatically if errors are detected.
It's just code
Codifying your infrastructure allows you to treat your infrastructure as just code. You can author it with any code editor, check it into a version control system, and review the files with team members before deploying into production.
We can help
At Singlepoint, we use CloudFormation for the creation of our customers’ entire cloud infrastructure (Account, Network (VPC), Application, Database, Configuration and Security), so we understand the power it has in automating AWS infrastructure deployments.
Here are some of the CloudFormation services we provide:
- CloudFormation Account Factory: automation is created to ensure a new AWS Account is added to AWS Organisation automatically.
- CloudFormation VPC Factory: create a VPC Factory that automatically deploys and removes VPCs based on company standards so that your development teams can self-provision an environment that complies with your company guidelines.
- CloudFormation AMI Factory: accelerate deployment of application updates and reduce the risk of downtime with an automated process.
- CloudFormation Infrastructure Factory: deploy infrastructure using code and automate promotion through environments.
- CloudFormation Application Factory: deploy application patterns using code and automating promotion (CI/CD) through environments.
Contact us at Singlepoint
And learn how Singlepoint can help you incorporate Infrastructure as Code.