Fabio Douek outlines how a thorough AWS Well-Architected Review is a perfect toolkit to make sure your workloads are efficient, secure and fully performing throughout the life-cycle of your application.
Software development has a lot in common with the construction industry in many respects. They both rely on a solid foundation to ensure that architectural problems don’t appear and start undermining the function and the integrity of the structure. The AWS Well-Architected Framework provides the foundation and pillars that you need for robust cloud infrastructure.
However, an unsound architecture will not allow you to fully exploit the full potential of the powerful AWS platform, no matter how powerful the platform is. When architecting technology solutions on AWS, it can be a challenge to put everything together to obtain an effective implementation that is also future-proofed.
Do you make the most of your Cloud environment?
The pay-per-use model, the usage-based scalability, the high resilience and the self-service feature of AWS appeal to many businesses and organisations, who can then enjoy lower IT costs and faster time to market. But it is commonplace to run into difficulties when defining the roadmap of the cloud ecosystem – the reason being that current applications were developed based on old IT standards, not to say ancient in some cases. Only a sound and robust architecture will ensure that said applications and systems can integrate properly with the cloud’s dynamic features.
Incorporating the Well-Architected Framework and its 5 pillars into your architecture will help you produce a stable and efficient environment while allowing you to focus on other areas, such as functional requirements.
What is a Well-Architected Review?
The AWS Well-Architected Framework comprises of standards and best practices to help cloud architects build secure, high-performing, resilient, and efficient infrastructure for their applications. The Framework provides a consistent approach to design principles across 5 pillars:
- Operational Excellence of systems – Key topics include managing and automating changes, responding to events, and defining standards to successfully manage daily operations.
- Security for information and systems – Key topics include confidentiality and integrity of data, identifying and managing who can do what with privilege management, protecting systems, and establishing controls to detect security events.
- Reliability in meeting business and customer demand – Key topics include foundational elements around setup, cross-project requirements, recovery planning, and how we handle change.
- Performance Efficiency to make the most of your IT resources – Key topics include selecting the right resource types and sizes based on workload requirements, monitoring performance, and making informed decisions to maintain efficiency as business needs evolve.
- Cost Optimization to avoid unneeded costs – Key topics include understanding and controlling where money is being spent, selecting the most appropriate and right number of resource types, analyzing spend over time, and scaling to meet business needs without overspending.
During a Singlepoint AWS Well-Architected Review, expert Cloud and Solution Architects review your architecture, along with your business requirements. We take a close look at your existing architecture and compare it against the AWS standards. If your applications more or less conform to these standards, we may suggest ways to improve or better maintain them. If your architecture falls behind the AWS standards, we will recommend required changes and define a roadmap for improvement. Our goal is to empower you to achieve the following crucial objectives:
- assess your workloads and mitigate against technical risks
- determine remediation actions based on your specific business needs
- interpret AWS services, immediately addressing issues like cost and operational excellence
We are an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner and an award-winning IT Services and Technology Delivery provider with over 10 years of experience in various technologies. We take Cloud expertise seriously. Our engineers are 100% AWS certified and have years of experience working in the AWS cloud.
How To Get Started?
Before you request a Well-Architected Review, we recommend that you first identify all the stakeholders and subject matter experts who will get involved in the review with us. Also, you will need to determine which significant workload(s) you will want the review to focus on. Singlepoint’s AWS-certified Cloud Architects will take a deep dive into your architecture, align it with AWS best practices, before producing a roadmap for improvements.
Well-Architected Review Outcomes
Typically, customers who went through a Singlepoint Well-Architected Review usually manage to decrease their security risks by taking steps such as implementing multi-factor authentication (MFA) on all local accounts, but also to improve system resiliency and efficiency through achieving high availability of their workload, and minimise costs by decommissioning unused resources
Singlepoint supports organisations to perform thorough AWS Well-Architected Reviews so they can align technical outcomes with business requirements. Learn more by downloading our datasheet and talking to our experts to see how you can make the most of your cloud infrastructure.